September is an interesting time of year, especially in South Carolina. While it still feels like summer outside, fall activities have already begun. Many of us are enjoying our pumpkin spice and college football while still in our summer swimsuits! Now is also the time when we start bracing ourselves for the whirlwind of excitement and information overload that comes with holidays and end-of-the-year giving.
Before holiday chaos is in full swing, we want to formally announce that the Palmetto Cycling Coalition is participating in Giving Tuesday! #GivingTuesday is an international day of giving on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. It is a global giving movement built by individuals, families, organizations, businesses and communities in all 50 states and in countries around the world. This year, #GivingTuesday falls on November 27.
At PCC, #GivingTuesday especially resonates with us because our work is all about bringing communities together. Transportation is a fundamental part of how people connect with one another. Ensuring the safety of everyone in South Carolina, regardless of their mode of transportation, is a critical part of building a more livable and connected state.
The PCC began in 1995 with a small group of volunteers. Today we have over 600 members and many more constituents. We are the only organization in South Carolina that advocates for better bicycling at the state level! In 2013, we added walking to our mission because the struggles faced by every vulnerable road user are interconnected. Here are just a few of our accomplishments over the last 23 years!
- Spearheaded a statewide complete streets campaign, the SC Livable Communities Alliance, through funding from Voices for Healthy Kids!
- Passed H.3909 through the state House (2015) and Senate (2016), with final passage at a future date.
- Created bike law Legal Update for the SC Criminal Justice Academy, required for SC officer training each year (2015)
- Launched Safe Streets Save Lives with Bike Law, SC’s first strategic campaign to reduce bicycling fatalities (2011). Wrote flexible curriculum, trained over 75 trainers in the Safe Streets curriculum, and inaugurated our first state bike summit bringing an innovative Rolling Bike Summit format to South Carolina’s 6 biggest cities (2014)
- Partnered with Eat Smart Move More SC to print, publish, and distribute Complete Streets Toolkit and Advocacy Manual (2009-current)
- Click here to see more of our accomplishments!
We’re excited to see what the next 23 years have in store for bike/walk advocates in South Carolina. PCC’s work would not be possible without volunteers and donors like you!
Be sure to keep your evening open on November 27, 2018 because we’re planning a special #GivingTuesday event. Stay tuned for the details! If you are interested in volunteering for Giving Tuesday, be sure to email Corrine at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at the office 803-445-1099.