SC Routes for Biking & Walking
These are routes we have collected over the years, from other state and national partnering organizations. We cannot characterize the safety of any routes here.
- sidepaths and multi-use linear parks, includes trails that are paved and unpaved
- created by the South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism, and recently updated
- SC’s 6 cross state routes
- on road, primarily rural, adjacent to fast moving yet low volume traffic
- connect to many state parks
- created by SCPRT in the 1980’s. Many routes have 4 foot shoulders, but many do not. A google map search may reveal more up do date information about presence of shoulders.
- paved trails in South Carolina
- created by the Rails to Trails Conservancy for South Carolina
- SC's coastal route, part of a long term, envisioned off road corridor from Maine to Florida
- some interim route sections are completely off road, while others are still risky and on state highway shoulders (IE, Hwy 17), but many of the latter are in the process of getting 5 foot shoulders after the 2021 SCDOT complete streets policy.
- routes in SC, GA, and NC
- for the long distance, confident rider who enjoys rural routes
- routes in SC, GA, NC, TN, and VA
- for the long distance, confident rider who enjoys climbs
- 14 on road routes throughout SC
- trip sheets included
- maps not available