Seeking Communications Intern
The Palmetto Cycling Coalition is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization with headquarters in Columbia and 1 mile from USC Columbia campus. The mission of the PCC is to make South Carolina bicycle friendly by improving safety, providing access, and educating South Carolinians on the value and importance of bicycling for healthy lifestyles and communities. We would like to hire a part-time Intern to work on communications-related projects. A $300 stipend is available. Work will involve creating and editing various PCC publications, including working with graphics and writing. Additionally, the Intern will utilize phone and email to contact bike shops throughout the state to assist in disseminating publications to the public. The Intern will gain firsthand knowledge of the operations of a small nonprofit organization and will be given both guidance and leeway to create quality, unique, and creative publications and outreach.
This internship offers a flexible schedule with a ten-hour a week minimum commitment, with potential to work 20-hours a week if available. The position offers a $300 stipend, and and we are happy to work with any academic requirements the Intern may have, to help them earn college credit for their efforts, and to provide guidance on future employment options related to the area of work.
Responsibilities & Projects
- Utilize and/or learn the following software: Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Illustrator, and Publisher
- Design and edit copy for 20 year anniversary Annual Report, as outreach/fundraising opportunity,
- Design quality PCC bike commuter graphic & t-shirt, with help from qualified volunteer,
- Work with established vendor to finalize creation of above and other marketing materials (including but not limited to membership brochures, educational materials, mailers, posters, and other items as identified),
- Provide quick edits to monthly newsletters using Constant Contact software, and
- Conduct outreach with bike shops throughout the state, via phone and email.
- If other projects are complete, edit draft infographics, representing various advocacy campaigns
- Interest in Communications/Outreach
- Team player attitude, ability to work independently with guidance, and multi-tasking capability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to conduct phone calls with ease
- Willingness to learn Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, and Illustrator software, and proficiency in MS Office
- Inquisitive and positive attitude
- Commitment to building a more bike and walk friendly, sustainable and healthy South Carolina
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Illustrator, and InDesign software
- Sense of humor
We are currently accepting applications for this internship for Fall 2015. Please send a letter of interest, references and resume to: Amy Johnson Ely, Executive Director, [email protected], or mail to: Palmetto Cycling Coalition, 141-F Pelham Drive, Suite 116, Columbia, SC 29209.